Hocheppan Castle Chapel
The Castle Chapel in the south of the Hocheppan castle complex, also known as the Sistine Chapel of the Alps, truly bears witness to bygone days. Although it was consecrated in the Middle Ages, in 1131, both its architecture and the paintings that it contains have been almost completely and very well preserved. The Romanesque frescoes from the 13th century show typical motifs from the time when the castle was built, such as a hunting scene, or the famous “dumpling eater”. There are also frescoes with scenes from the life of Christ and the Apostles, which are among the best-preserved in Tyrol. That we can marvel at them today is thanks to the fact that they were uncovered in 1926, after having been painted over for many centuries.
The Castle Chapel can be visited as part of a guided tour between 11 am and 4 pm every day, except on wednesdays.
The Castle closes on the 5th of November and stays closed til march.